Self care in isolation

I've been surprised at how the Coronavirus lockdown has affected me as a sexual assault survivor. I'm used to spending time on my own. I actually quite like it. I'm an introvert who loves studying and spending time devouring books. Surely the lockdown wouldn't be such a change then, would it? But, in reality, I've found it hard. I've come to realise that the feeling of being trapped and alone reminds me of the assaults that I suffered. Feeling out of control and forced to do something against my will has brought back all sorts of memories that have haunted me for years.

So, in the midst of all this, self care has been huge.

These are the things that have helped me so far:

1. Routine


As my normal routines have disappeared, I have found the setting up of new routines to be essential for my well being at this time of social isolation. I have set up regular 'school time' with my daughter that starts between 9am and 10am each day. We follow a regular pattern of looking at our calendar, remembering key birthdays and dates giving us fuel to remember and pray for others. We spend time doing basic letter recognition and numbers as well as lots of reading! Stories have become such a wonderful family time to share in and give us shared memories when other things have stopped.

I've also scheduled video meetings with friends that I seeking to continue at the same time each week. This gives some shape to the day and creates a focus for the morning or afternoon. It's also been really encouraging to speak to others when isolation and silence threaten to overwhelm.

As well as this, I've tried to do two lots of exercise a day: one inside and the other outside. This leads to my second tip...

2. Exercise


I normally rely on walking as my main exercise. I live somewhere that's quite hilly and so feel I'm often getting a good workout by just doing my daily chores. But, as these opportunities have faded overnight, I've had to be more purposeful in exercising. So, in the one permitted 'outside' time, I've taken the opportunity to go to an open field nearby to play ball with my daughter and husband and go for a walk. The fresh air has been so refreshing. I'm not usually an outdoors person, but this has given me a new appreciation for all things outdoors! I think I'll do more when this lockdown passes...

The other exercise is indoors, in front of the T.V. I've been using Pop Sugar Fitness.  I've loved the variety of short exercise routines with amended versions for out-of-practise people like me!

3. Thankfulness


It is easy at a time like this to dwell on the negatives. I have noticed a pattern of this in myself over the years: an attempt to protect myself from being hurt again causes me to think the worst. At a time like this, this can become all consuming. So, I've resolved to create a thankfulness diary. I've bought myself a notebook and list 10 things each day to be thankful for.

Some of the things so far today are:

- seeing my husband more
- a new found love for the outdoors
- family-time taking in the fresh air and flower-spotting (!)
- technology and video chats
- exercise

My favourite notebooks are these and these.

4. Music


I love music and have been so encouraged by the following albums and songs in the last days.

- Sovereign Grace - Prayers of the Saints
- Sovereign Grace - He is our God
- City Alight Music - Only a Holy God
- Emu Music - No Other Name
- O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer

Will keep posting.

Keep safe and look after yourself,

Julia x



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Consent and why it matters

Two Tips To Help You Not Give Up

The most helpful paragraph I've read in a long time...