Breaking out of the cocoon

Today I was reading 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar' with my daughter. The caterpillar ate and ate and then built a small house around himself. This image resonated with me on many levels as a sexual assault survivor:

  • Trapped: for so long I've felt trapped and unable to break the silence. I have managed to share my story with a few, but still have found it so difficult to bring up the pain and recurring sadness associated with such a crime. 
  • In darkness: for so long I've felt like the darkness is winning. Sexual assault has left me feeling alone, hurt and unable to know where to go for help, in utter darkness with no way out. 
  • Protection: This has led to me doing everything I can to protect myself which has led to me hiding myself from my family and friends, afraid to show who I really am in fear of being hurt again. 
The image of the caterpillar in the cocoon also has another image of waiting for new life to break through. This is why I have decided to write this blog: as a way of me breaking out of the cocoon myself by sharing my story and helping others to break out. Helping others to realise that they can blossom despite their experiences.

I'll share my story along the way.

I want to give others a forum to share their stories and give some inspiration and hope as I share the things that help me to break out of the cocoon.

This is a daily battle and my greatest inspiration and hope is Jesus. Ruth 2 verse 12 has been a great encouragement to me. Ruth is commended for having taken refuge under the wings of the Lord. This is a beautiful image and has been a great comfort when I've felt lost and alone. The wings of the Lord are big enough and strong enough to take me in, to shelter me from the storm and ultimately to bring me out the other side as a beautiful butterfly.

In the next few posts I'll share some key realisations that caused me to get to this point around crushing lies and understanding consent.

Julia x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Consent and why it matters

Two Tips To Help You Not Give Up

The most helpful paragraph I've read in a long time...