Your unique healing journey

Often I wonder, 'Am I doing okay?' Not just okay in life, but okay in my healing journey. I wonder if I am doing it 'right,' if I am moving forwards and not backwards. If I'm overcoming the hurdles rather than being crushed and overcome by them. Am I doing okay?

Well, as I continue on this journey I've realised some important things that have helped me immensely:

1. You are unique


It has struck me that as much as each person is a unique, valued human being, our journeys are also unique. There is no right or wrong in how we do it. A lot has been said about the healing journey and there are countless books that talk about the steps to take. These may be helpful, but only as a guide, as we are all different. We are not robots. We are all unique.

This has really helped me stop questioning myself. It has helped me to stop worrying that I'm not doing okay. This has been really important as it's given me the ability to concentrate on my healing. Concentrate on my own unique, special journey that is different from yours. It's mine, because I'm me and that IS okay.


2. Your journey is beautiful 


When I began to speak out about my assault, I would often feel guilty for 'backtracking.' I'd feel that I was making some progress and then would 'go backwards.' (Well, this was how I defined it at the time). I felt like I was moving forwards and then something would hit me. I'd be journeying and suddenly, 'Wham!' I'd hit a brick wall. I'd wonder if I was doing it right. Am I doing okay?

But, again, I've come to realise that the healing journey isn't linear. Life isn't linear. We take steps forward and then we relearn the same things again in another way. The journey is more like a beautiful artwork, including linear parts, but also spirals as we learn to come to terms with something. And then it may come back again and again. That's okay. We are learning the same thing in different spheres of life. We are getting stronger and changing as a result. The bumps are beautiful, just as you are. Just as I am.


As a continue to embark on this journey every day, I keep remembering these things. I keep pressing on. I keep speaking. I keep standing up for evil and supporting other heroes. I'm so grateful for the community that I am part of: these people keep me going. They encourage me every day to keep believing that this journey is worth the fight. It's worth the bumps and the spirals. It's beautiful because it's mine.

Keep going on your unique and beautiful journey.

You matter.

You are unique.

Julia x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Consent and why it matters

Two Tips To Help You Not Give Up

The most helpful paragraph I've read in a long time...